UPA I & II has broken all records in corruption scandals. 1.76 lakh crore 2G scam, 1.86 lakh crore Coal scam, Commonwealth scam, Defence scams. Amounts involved have been mammoth, never heard of in Indian political landscape earlier. Corruption is a big issue in Lok Sabha elections this time. BJP is playing it to the hilt. A new political party AAP was born to get rid of corrupt political class and usher in a new alternative brand of clean politics. They have had some success and their share of controversies too.
In India if disproportionate assets to income case is filed strictly against politicians majority of them will be in jail. Even small time politicians have amassed huge wealth. They have all fancy cars (first Bolero was a rage, then Scorpio now Fortuner). All parties have corrupt people. Leaders at the helm of the country Rajiv Gandhi was accused of receiving kickbacks in Bofors scam. Narasimha Rao was involved in a cash for votes scam in 1990s to save his govt. Telecom Minister Sukh Ram was jailed. Lokayukta passed strictures against BJP Karnataka CM Yeddyurappa. Lalu Yadav has been convicted in fodder scam. A Raja and Kalmadi accused in 2G scam and CWG scam, and Coal Minister / PMO in coal scam.
Do these scams impact voting patterns. One would assume so! Do people reject scamsters. Doesn’t seem so. Jharkhand Mukti Morcha MPs accused cash for votes scam still keep on winning. Lalu kept on winning despite fodder scam allegations. Corruption is a way of life in India. Voters openly say they don’t have problems with their representatives gulping funds as long as they do something.
In a society where money is given utmost importance, where a person’s worth is judged by his monthly salary / bank balance, property owned, car driven, a girl’s father asks his to be bridge groom how much you earn, there is bound to be corruption. People take all steps to get rich because getting rich makes you powerful. Overall society needs a change…….
That’s why perhaps all parties do make a hue and cry about corruption but still go ahead with giving seats to corrupt leaders:
1. Congress has given ticket to Pawan Kumar Bansal (railways scam) & Subodh Kant Sahay.
2. BJP has given ticket to Yeddyuraappa and re-inducted Srimalu (associate of mining baron Reddy brothers).
3. AAP has given ticket to IAS officer who overtook Khemka’s decision on Robert Vadra’s land deals.
4. Ajit Singh’s party has taken in Amar Singh (cash for votes scam).
5. DMK has given ticket to A Raja and Dayanidhi Maran (telecom scam).
6. JMM has given ticket to Shibu Soren (convicted in urder case, later acquitted).
7. YSR Congress is being led by Jagan Reddy whose illegal property worth crores have been attached.
Will public in these elections reject these tainted leaders? Will it start a new chapter in Indian politics. Remains to be seen……