- The population of the state is 6.1 crores, 61.33% rural and 38.67% urban.
- Karnataka has 224 seats. 51 seats are reserved – 36 for SC and 15 for ST.
- State is divided into six regions – Old Mysuru, Bengaluru city, Hyderabad Karnataka, Bombay Karnataka, Karavali and Central Karnataka.
- Old Mysuru has the highest number of seats followed by Bombay Karnataka and Hyderabad Karnataka.
|Region||Districts||No. of Seats|
|Old Mysuru||Hassan, Mandya, Mysore, Tumkur, Kolar, Chamranjnagar||64|
|Bengaluru City||Bangalore, Bangalore Rural||28|
|Hyderabad Karnataka||Gulbarga, Bidar, Bellary, Raichur, Koppal||40|
|Bombay Karnataka||Bijapur, Bagalkot, Belgaum, Dharwad, Gadag, Uttar Kannad, Haveri||50|
|Karavali (Coastal & Hills)||Udupi, Dakshin Kannad, Kodagu (Mangalore)||19|
|Central Karnataka||Devangere, Shimoga, Chikmangalur, Chitradurga||23|
- In 2013, Congress and BJP got highest number of seats from Bombay Karnataka while JDS from Old Mysuru region.
- Old Mysuru witnessed a tough fight between Congress and JDS as both Siddaramaiah and Deve Gowda belong to this region.
- Bengaluru City witnessed a tough contest between Congress and BJP. BJP normally does better in urban areas across India.
|Karavali (Coastal & Hills)||19||13||3||0||3|